Support The Canadian Progressive
Dear Valued Reader:
Canada urgently needs more independent, unmuzzled journalism! Help us expand the space for progressive voices, and diversify Canada’s marketplace of ideas.
Current fundraising initiative:
The Canadian Progressive has an ongoing GoFundMe Fund-raising Initiative. If we reach our modest goal of $5,000, we’ll be able to purchase the following gear The Canadian Progressive desperately needs to improve the quality of our independent journalism, photography and videography:
- A DSLR camera and accessories
- Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CC photo editing software
- Basic audio equipment
- Video-editing software
- A notebook or desktop with video-editing capability
- Online training in DSLR photography and video editing
Please support hard-hitting, provocative, activism-oriented independent journalism. Visit our GoFundMe Fund-raising Initiative and make your secure generous donation today.
At the moment, all costs relating to the maintenance of The Canadian Progressive are self-financed. To help us meet some of these costs, please consider Donating via PayPal.
The Canadian Progressive’s ultimate goal is to become a fully-fledged news site. That means: vibrant, independent opinion journalism; well-researched and hard-hitting investigative reports; a dedicated team of bloggers/writers, an editorial Board, paid part-time site administrator and DemocracyNow!-style videos.
Our needs include:
- Broadcast-grade camcorder or DSLR camera, equipment and accessories for: a) Better-quality photos, and b) videos featuring leading progressive thinkers, public events and grassroots stories.
- Workspace: Access to $300 per month would enable The Canadian Progressive to secure a “Hot Desk” in a downtown Ottawa collaborative workspace. That means 60 hours of desk space and 6 hours of meeting/broadcast room access under the same roof with like-minded progressive organizations, entrepreneurs, freelances and consultants dedicated to progressive social change. An amazing opportunity to network, film videos, and recruit bloggers and writers.
- We need to hire a professional to redesign and rebuild the website and make it more secure, and enable it load faster and rank higher on Google search. A secure site means more time to focus on editing submitted material, creating quality content, recruiting bloggers and covering public events.
- Limited graphic design, especially logo, icons and banners.
- A notebook or desktop with video-editing capability: a powerful CPU, plenty of RAM, good graphics card, ample data storage space and long battery life.
- Video and photo editing software
We have estimated that this modest dream will cost at least $10,000.
We’d also appreciate donations in kind. Please send us an email at email@example.com describing the equipment you’d like to donate. program. Here are a few examples of the stuff you could donate:
- A DSLR
- Mirrorless camera
- DSLR/mirrorless camera lenses
- Broadcast grade camcorder
- Notebook with video-editing capabilities
Why your support is crucial:
A recent study jointly released by the Toronto-based Environics Institute and the Ottawa-based Institute on Governance (IOG) revealed that only one in ten (13%) Canadians have trust in the mainstream media.
The newsrooms of established media organizations continue to shrink. Some of these organizations are continuously silenced through media consolidation under the control of powerful corporations. Many leading commercial media organizations now hide hide their news articles behind paywalls and force the public to pay for for access.
Canada urgently needs more independent, unmuzzled journalism!
The Canadian Progressive is an ad-free, independent Canadian political news site read by thousands of people in Canada and abroad. We’re especially concerned with government and corporate abuses of power, the tar sands and pipelines, the environment, activism, social justice and aboriginal issues.
For questions, please contact:
Founder and Editor, The Canadian Progressive