by: Obert Madondo
The famous video showing Toronto Mayor Rob Ford smoking crack cocaine is alive and well, after all.
The video disappeared soon after the scandal emerged in May. Toronto Police have the video. So they announced Thursday morning soon after they released a 500-page application for a search warrant they used to arrest Sandro Lisi, the Mayor’s drug-dealing former driver and friend.
“The video files depict images that are consistent with what has previously been reported,” police chief Bill Blair told the media in a news conference.
The frenzied media coverage that followed the announcement has left not doubt that Ford was doing cocaine when the video was shot. That he uses drugs. That the cops have been investigating the mayor since the scandal first hit the headlines. Finally, it’s clear that a criminal investigation is imminent.
Enough! It’s time for Rob Ford to go!
Here’s the full document filed by the Toronto Police:
PROJECT BRAZEN 2- ITO
Obert Madondo is an Ottawa-based progressive blogger, and the founder and editor of The Canadian Progressive.
RCMP Officers Monitor Peaceful Occupy Activity on Parliament Hill, Sept 2012
by Obert Madondo | The Canadian Progressive, Jan 15, 2013:
Ontario Superior Court Justice Harriet Sachs says police behaviour during the Toronto G20 protests had “the eerie overtones of the worst sort of abuse orchestrated by fascist states.” She passed the harsh verdict while ruling on the case of Eva Marie Botten, an activist whose Charter rights were infringed when Toronto police mass-arrested 263 protesters during the 2010 protests.
One particular officer prompted the judge’s scathing words. According to the Toronto Star, while arresting Botten, he shone his weapon’s laser beam at her and chanted: “Eenie, meenie, minie, mo, arrest a protester by the toe.”
Reacting to the Danzig Street shooting, which left two dead and another 24 injured, the “furious” mayor of Canada’s largest city assures us that Toronto has “the greatest police service in the world.” He invites Torontonians to “declare war on these violent gangs.” The kind that will “catch these criminals and get them off our streets.” Ford says “there is no room in Toronto for violent gangs.”
Frankly, I don’t know how my old hometown can still be “one of the safest cities in the world” after three deadly shootings in less than two months. This one follows the recent shootings at Toronto’s Eaton Centre and in Little Italy.
Plus, this is the same Ford who was the only member of council to vote against accepting $350,000 from Ottawa for a gang intervention project. Free money from the tough-on-crimes feds.
The full text of the mayor’s statement:
“Toronto is a safe city. It’s one of the safest cities in the world. Toronto is a great place to live and raise a family. It’s a great place to invest and create jobs. However, we cannot be complacent. We cannot stand by and watch criminals bring violence to our streets and backyards. It’s time for all of us to work together to keep our city safe.