OTTAWA, May 6, 2012 - Today marks the 53rd day of my indefinite hunger strike against Canada’s new draconian crime law, the deceptively christened “Safe Streets and Communities Act”, formerly omnibus crime Bill C10. My name is Obert Madondo. I’m Ottawa-based activist and progressive political blogger. My two core demands: the Parliament of Canada should immediately repeal the law AND Senator Vernon White must resign.
Although my health has deteriorated significantly since I started the hunger strike on March 14, the silent treatment I’ve received from the Parliament of Canada and the mainstream media so far has left me no choice but to take my peaceful protest to Parliament Hill. Starting Monday, May 7, 2012, I will be protesting from the steps to Parliament Hill every day from 12pm to 5pm.
- PETITION: PM Harper, Parliament of Canada: Fulfill Obert’s Bill C10 hunger strike demands NOW!
- YouTube Campaign Video
- Appeal to the Parliament of Canada
- Appeal to the Governor General of Canada
- Letter to Senator Vernon White
- Selected Journal Entries
- Canada Crime Bill C10 hunger striker concerned about Parliament’s “silent treatment”
- Activist protests omnibus crime bill with hunger strike, Rabble.ca
- Hunger strike activist spurned at doors of Canada’s Parliament: “Go put it in the mail”, AllVoices Ottawa man to go on hunger strike to protest Bill C-10, Metro News
- Man begins hunger strike to protest omnibus crime bill, Centretown News
- Taking a stand against ‘draconian’ crime bill, EMC Ottawa South
- Occupier begins hunger strike to protest crime bill, Charlatan