by: Obert Madondo
Blue Future: Protecting Water for People and the Planet Forever, Maude Barlow’s new book on global water crisis solutions, launches in Ottawa on Tuesday, October 1. Why this is important? Blue Future is “a powerful, penetrating, and timely look at the global water crisis — and what we can do to prevent it.”
WHAT: Book launch of Blue Future, with author Maude Barlow, national chairperson of the Council of Canadians
WHEN: 7:00pm, Tuesday, October 1, 2013
WHERE: Centretown United Church, 507 Bank Street
TICKETS: $5 in advance (in-store and online). $10 at the door.
The Ottawa book launch is organized by Octopus Books and the Council of Canadians.
About Blue Future:
The global water crisis has dramatically deepened. The stage is being set for drought on an unprecedented scale, mass starvation, and the migration of millions of refugees leaving parched lands in search of water. The story does not need to end in tragedy.
In Blue Future (to be published on September 28), international bestselling author Maude Barlow offers solutions to the global water crisis based on four simple principles:
- Principle One: Water Is a Human Right chronicles the long fight to have the human right to water recognized and the powerful players still impeding this progress.
- Principle Two: Water Is a Common Heritage and Public Trust argues that water must not become a commodity to be bought and sold on the open market.
- Principle Three: Water Has Rights Too makes the case for the protection of source water and the need to make our human laws compatible with those of nature.
- Principle Four: Water Will Teach Us How to Live Together urges us to come together around a common threat — the end of water — and find a way to live more lightly on this planet.
The final installment in Barlow’s Blue trilogy, Blue Future includes inspiring stories of struggle and resistance from marginalized communities, as well as examples of government policies that work for people and the planet. A call to action to create a water-secure world, it is, in the end, a book of hope.
About the Author:
Maude Barlow is the author of sixteen books, including the international bestsellers Blue Gold: The Fight to Stop the Corporate Threat of the World’s Water (co-written with Tony Clarke) and Blue Covenant: The Global Water Crisis and the Coming Battle for the Right to Water. She is currently the National Chairperson of the Council of Canadians. She served as Senior Advisor on Water to the 63rd President of the United Nations General Assembly and was a leader in the campaign to have water recognized as a human right by the UN. She lives in Ottawa, Ontario.
Advance praise for Blue Future:
“We are water — it inflates our cells, dissolves nutrients, transports materials, and enables metabolism. Once again, Maude Barlow delivers an urgent warning that we are treating this priceless liquid in ways that are unjust, unhealthy, unsustainable, and suicidal.” —David Suzuki, Scientist, Environmentalist, and Broadcaster.
“As clear as a pristine mountain stream, Maude Barlow lays out a practical and inspiring vision for how we can defend water — the source of all life — from the forces of death. For decades Barlow has been on the front lines of this critical battle and her insights on how water can serve as our guide to a more just, sustainable world are a gift to us all.” — Naomi Klein, Author of The Shock Doctrine
“Maude Barlow first establishes water as a human right, and then takes us through the titanic struggle, country by country, to make that right come alive. It’s jolting, compelling, astonishingly comprehensive, and beautifully organized. No one but Maude could have written this tour de force.” — Stephen Lewis, Author of Race Against Time
The Canadian Progressive recommends:
- Maude Barlow: Blue Future: Protecting Water for People and the Planet Forever
- Maude Barlow’s bold new vision to protect the Great Lakes
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Criticizes Privatization of Water at World Environment Forum