At 12:01 am on Wednesday, March 14, I embarked on an indefinite hunger strike whose demand is: the Parliament of Canada immediately repeal the new Safe Streets and Communities Act (omnibus crime Bill C-10). Earlier, I had appealed to the Governor General of Canada, The Right Honourable David Johnston, to use the Crown’s reserve powers to either withhold or reserve Royal Assent to Bill C-10. But Prime Minister Stephen Harper‘s tyrannical will prevailed, just as it did when the Conservative majorities in the House of Commons and Senate brushed aside the diverse input of the opposition, experts and victims and passed crime Bill C-10. The bill reportedly received royal assent Tuesday afternoon. I will now continue the hunger strike until the Act is repealed in its entirety.
At 12:01am on Wednesday, March 14, I started an indefinite hunger strike against the Conservative Government’s new Safe Streets and Communities Act (crime Bill C-10). My five demands include the immediate repeal of the Act and resignation of Senator Vernon White.
- Letter to Parliament of Canada
- Letter to the Governor General of Canada
- Letter to Canadian MPs
- Media Coverage:
- Activist protests omnibus crime bill with hunger strike, Rabble.ca
- Hunger strike activist spurned at doors of Canada’s Parliament: “Go put it in the mail”, AllVoices
- Ottawa man to go on hunger strike to protest Bill C-10, Metro News
- Man begins hunger strike to protest omnibus crime bill, Centretown News
- Taking a stand against ‘draconian’ crime bill, EMC Ottawa South
- Occupier begins hunger strike to protest crime bill, Charlatan
- Selected Journal Entries:
- Upcoming Public Actions:
- 24-hour Solidarity Hunger Strike (details coming soon)
- Completed Public Actions:
- 12-hour Solidarity Hunger Strike at the Canadian Human Rights Monument (Ottawa)
- Ottawa Bill C-10 Hunger Striker’s March to Parliament Hill
It’s Day 2 of my indefinite hunger strike to demand the repeal of Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the Conservatives’ draconian Safe Streets and Communities Act (Bill C-10). I started the peaceful protest at 12:01am on Wednesday, March 14.
I’m doing great. My spirits are high. I’m getting the maximum support I expected from most of my close friends.
- Received positive coverage from Metro Ottawa
- Had three interviews with the local media
- Held conversation with colleagues and friends who are hammering out plans for support including: regular visits, medical attention, etc.
- Attended and spoke at the Ottawa International Day Against Police Violence Vigil
- Met with a colleague from the Occupy Ottawa media team
- Read a chapter 9 of the Lord of the Ring: The Return of the King
- New friendships made
- Music, music, music!