Parliament Hill Shooting: Statement by Ottawa Police Service
Here’s the Ottawa Police Service’s statement on today’s shootings at the National War Memorial and on Parliament Hill. The statement confirms that the Canadian Forces members shot at the National War Memorial succumbed to his injuries.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:45pm
(Ottawa)—The Ottawa Police Service and Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) responded to reports of shooting incidents this morning in the downtown area. Police can now confirm that incidents occurred at the National War Memorial and on Parliament Hill.
Contrary to earlier reports no incident occurred near the Rideau Centre.
One shooting victim succumbed to injuries. He was a member of the Canadian Forces. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his loved ones.
Next of kin notification is underway and as such, the victim’s identification will not be released.
One male suspect has also been confirmed deceased. There is no further update on injuries at this time.
This is an ongoing joint police operation and there is no one in custody at this time.
Ottawa residents are asked to stay away from the downtown area while the investigation continues. If you work in one of the downtown buildings, follow the instructions from the building management you are in.
A number of RCMP and Federal government buildings are also closed to the public; as is Ottawa City Hall and all Ottawa Police stations.
The Ottawa Police Service wants to speak to witnesses of today’s shooting incidents. Witnesses are to call Ottawa Police at 613-236-1222, ext 5493.
Those with tips regarding the shooting incidents, or those looking to report suspicious activity, can call 613-236-1222 or call 9-1-1.
Anonymous tips can be submitted by calling Crime Stoppers at 613-233-8477(TIPS), toll free at 1-800-222-8477 or by downloading the Ottawa Police iOS app.
- Harper’s new anti-Trudeau ad is hilarious and mediocre - May 28, 2015
- Conservatives nuke motion seeking end to violence against women in Canada - May 27, 2015
- NEB’s Energy East pipeline review must be suspended: Groups - May 26, 2015
- Harper’s the muzzling of Canada’s federal scientists assailed - May 21, 2015
- Harper must clarify ‘zero tolerance’ for Israel boycotters: Church - May 20, 2015
- Federal NDP ahead of Conservatives and Liberals in new poll - May 14, 2015
- Harper’s effort to criminalize legitimate Canadian criticism of Israel is diabolical - May 13, 2015