Oprah Receives Racist “Pretty Woman” Treatment From Swiss Boutique
A $38,000 designer handbag is an obscene indulgence. But one billionaire media mogul Oprah Winfrey can afford.
Not according to a certain saleswoman at the chic Trois Pommes boutique in Zurich, Switzerland.
While Winfrey may be one of the most recognizable faces on the planet, she apparently doesn’t have as big a fan base in Switzerland. Winfrey tells O’Dell that while in Zurich for Tina Turner’s wedding she left the hotel to go shopping by herself and was denied service when the clerk assumed that Winfrey wouldn’t be able to afford the bag she was asking to see.
The woman told Oprah the Tom Ford handbag she’d asked to see was “very expensive” for her. That “you will not be able to afford that.”
According to Forbes magazine, Oprah earned an estimated $77 million in the year ending June, 2013.
When Oprah insisted on the black handbag, the saleswoman emphatically refused to let her see it. And, explaining that she didn’t want to hurt the media mogul’s feeling, the woman showed Oprah cheaper handbags.
Ironically, Trois Pommes owner, Trudie Götz, was also a guest at the Turner wedding.
But that not the weird part. Götz has since apologized. So did the Swiss tourism office.
“We are very sorry for what happened to her, of course, because we think all of our guests and clients should be treated respectfully, in a professional way,” Daniela Baer, a spokeswoman for the office, told The Associated Press on Friday.
Götz, however, doesn’t believe her employee did anything wrong. She blamed her weak command of English for the “misunderstanding”. She further asserted that the saleswoman “only meant well” and “did everything right.”
ET asked Oprah if she’d ever been called the N-word, and Oprah said:
Nobody in their right mind, unless they’re a Twitter thug, is going to call me the N-word. Nobody in their right mind is going to do that to my face. Because true racism is being able to have power over somebody else, so it doesn’t happen to me that way.
- Racist Threatens Obama, Doesn’t ‘Understand What She Did Wrong’ [VIDEO]
- Oprah Gets Apology for Racist Shopping Encounter
- London Olympics 2012: What the racist Swiss soccer player said
Latest posts by Obert Madondo (see all)
- NDP demands investigation into allegations of racism, homophobia and Islamophobia at CSIS - July 17, 2017
- Why the July 12 net neutrality day of action in the United States matters - July 12, 2017
- Watch Naomi Klein Explain “How to Resist Trump’s Shock Doctrine” - June 13, 2017
- Edward Snowden defends jailed NSA contractor Reality Winner - June 8, 2017