Poll: 70% of Canadians think it’s time to kick Stephen Harper out
An overwhelming majority of Canadians think it’s time to kick Stephen Harper out and elect a new government, according to a new CTV News Ipsos Reid poll.
70% us are fed up with Harper and the Conservatives’ dictatorship-style assault on our democratic institutions, values, science and the environment. We’re fed up with the Conservatives’ political malfeasance, epitomized by the Third World-style Senate expenses scandal. We want Harper out. We want a new regime in Ottawa.
Most importantly, we’ve resolutely decided that the Conservatives should not be re-elected in 2015.
But not every Canadian is on board. In fact, the poll has two surprises:
First, thirty per cent still feel that Harper has done a great job. That he deserves to be re-elected. The good thing is that 30% is a monumental drop from the 44 per cent who said Harper deserved to be re-elected just before the robocalls-tainted 2011 federal election.
Second, 44% of Canadians still believe Harper is shepherding Canada in the right direction. The good thing is that the figure represents an unstoppable decline since 2008. According to the poll:
- In 2008, 55 per cent thought that Canada was on the right track, but the Conservatives only returned with a minority government.
- In early 2011, 51 per cent of Canadians thought the country was on the right track. Harper and the Conservatives returned to Ottawa with a majority government.
As usual, the corporate media has tried to put a positive spin on the poll results. CTV News headlined its report on the poll: CTV poll: 30 per cent of Canadians think Harper gov’t should be re-elected. And then, in the first paragraph, made it clear they believe that “the Conservatives appear to have weathered most of the Senate scandal storm and put a halt to their declining popularity…”
To conclude: the “big numbers” for the Conservatives are all about the advantages of incumbency. Nothing else. Change is coming to Canada in 2015.
The Canadian Progressive recommends:
Latest posts by Obert Madondo (see all)
- NDP demands investigation into allegations of racism, homophobia and Islamophobia at CSIS - July 17, 2017
- Why the July 12 net neutrality day of action in the United States matters - July 12, 2017
- Watch Naomi Klein Explain “How to Resist Trump’s Shock Doctrine” - June 13, 2017
- Edward Snowden defends jailed NSA contractor Reality Winner - June 8, 2017