BC NDP candidate resigns over racist comments against First Nations
Dayleen Van Ryswyk, the BC NDP candidate for Kelowna-Mission, has resigned after the racist comments she made online against Canada’s First Nations surfaced earlier today. She also denigrated French Canadians. Called them bigots.
This sad episode will not slow down the New Democrats‘ march to a majority in the next provincial election. And yet, the party should have done a better job as far as vetting candidates is concerned.
Van Ryswyk and her prejudiced worldview have no place in the party. The NDP is the home of the Canadian progressive. Of diversity and tolerance.
According to the B.C. Liberals, Van Ryswyk posted the following (unedited) comments on an online community blog:
“It’s not the status cards, it’s the fact that we have been paying out of the nose for generations for something that isn’t our doing. If their ancestors sold out too cheap it’s not my fault and i shouldn’t have to be paying for any mistake or whatever you want to call it from MY hard earned money.”
“It’s time our generation stopped paying for the mistakes of the past…let us all be one people… THE SAME.. race, creed colour or gender shouldn’t matter anymore in this day and age…enough is enough already.”
“The government is nothing more than a big black hole that feeds off the working man, sucking his last penny from his hand so they can give it away freely or lose it stupidly on things like fast ferries and about a zillion other stupid things.”
“In my opinion, we have paid our debt…a thousand fold..it’s time to move on, heal and grow. If the native people are to be the proud nation they keep talking about, then stand on your two feet and hold your heads high. There are a lot of things to be proud of, stop dwelling on the past. Because like the economy…the gravy train bubble will eventually burst too.”
“Seems the only group of people universally hated around the world other than the Americans are the french and FRENCH CANADIANS… the bigots are the french and not us….”
“I’m getting so sick of having french stuffed down my throat…this isn’t Quebec…it’s western Canada…we speak english here….why are we forced to have it at our western Canadian hosted Olympics?”
Earlier today, I was made aware of unacceptable comments made by Kelowna-Mission NDP candidate Dayleen van Ryswyk. I have accepted Ms. Van Ryswyk’s resignation. A new BC NDP candidate will be announced shortly.
Attachment: Castanet Discussion Thread
Photo: BC NDP
Recommended for you:
- Brigette DePape, young activists to Storm the Dorm at university campuses to boost youth voter turnout - October 3, 2015
- Exposed: 356 Conservative donors rewarded with high profile appointments under Harper - October 2, 2015
- Harper scolded by Conservatives over grotesque anti-communism memorial in Ottawa - October 1, 2015
- Margaret Atwood leads artists’ rebellion against Harper’s Bill C-51 - September 30, 2015
- Harper election strategist Lynton Crosby linked to global tax havens - September 29, 2015
- CBC plan to sell off buildings part of Harper’s diabolical privatization agenda - September 27, 2015
- Pentagon Official Shoots Down Stephen Harper’s Baseless F-35 Fighter Jet Warning - September 23, 2015