Rehtaeh Parsons: Cartoon depicts RCMP neglect and bias against women
The above editorial cartoon commenting on the Rehtaeh Parsons in The Chronicle Herald depicts Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) neglect and bias against women.
The RCMP only agreed to reopen the Rehtaeh Parsons case after pressure from Canadians. After hactivist collective Anonymous released a statement claiming to have a confession from one of the attackers. After the Parsons family shared its loss and pain with the world.
In February, Human Rights Watch released a scathing report that partially examined the issue of violence against women in Canada. The report revealed “evidence of sexist and racist violence endured by Aboriginal women.” It claimed that the RCMP often neglects and sometimes participates in violence against women, in particular, against Aboriginal women and girls.
The Canadian Progressive recommends:
- Rehtaeh Parsons: Anonymous Says It Has Rape Confession
- War on women
- Scathing report accuses RCMP of raping, abusing B.C. Aboriginal women
Recommended for you:
Latest posts by Obert Madondo (see all)
- Canadian Conservatives still support the TPP, which died after Trump’s withdrawal - April 20, 2017
- New Honorary Canadian Citizen Malala Yousafzai’s Speech To The Parliament Of Canada - April 15, 2017
- Nobel Laureates Assailed Honorary Canadian Citizen Aung San Suu Kyi Over Myanmar’s Persecution Of Rohingya People - April 10, 2017
- Dmitry Medvedev on US airstrikes on Syria: “On the verge of a military clash with Russia” - April 9, 2017