Rehtaeh Parsons: Cartoon depicts RCMP neglect and bias against women
The above editorial cartoon commenting on the Rehtaeh Parsons in The Chronicle Herald depicts Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) neglect and bias against women.
The RCMP only agreed to reopen the Rehtaeh Parsons case after pressure from Canadians. After hactivist collective Anonymous released a statement claiming to have a confession from one of the attackers. After the Parsons family shared its loss and pain with the world.
In February, Human Rights Watch released a scathing report that partially examined the issue of violence against women in Canada. The report revealed “evidence of sexist and racist violence endured by Aboriginal women.” It claimed that the RCMP often neglects and sometimes participates in violence against women, in particular, against Aboriginal women and girls.
The Canadian Progressive recommends:
- Rehtaeh Parsons: Anonymous Says It Has Rape Confession
- War on women
- Scathing report accuses RCMP of raping, abusing B.C. Aboriginal women
Recommended for you:
Latest posts by Obert Madondo (see all)
- Stephen Harper says “big multilateral trade deals are dead” - March 19, 2017
- Freeland Admits: U.S. Withdrawal Effectively Kills TPP Trade Deal - March 10, 2017
- 10 members of President’s Commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders resign in protest of Trump’s anti-immigrant policies - February 16, 2017
- Joint Statement from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and President Donald Trump - February 13, 2017