Canada World Youth Concerned About The Amalgamation of CIDA and DFAIT
Canada World Youth has enjoyed a strong working relationship with CIDA over the past 40 years and looks forward to build upon this partnership with the new Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development to be able to effectively work towards its mission of increasing the ability of people, especially youth, to participate actively in the development of just, harmonious, and sustainable societies.
We will continue to promote our expertise and the impact of our development work to Ministers Baird and Fantino and we welcome this opportunity for future collaboration.
Canada World Youth is concerned however with the $319M cut to CIDA’s budget that was announced as part of the federal government’s Economic Action Plan 2013, as well as with the further delay that the amalgamation will engender on the competitive call for proposals which was due to be issued by CIDA in Winter 2013. These measures will have a serious impact on the work of Canada’s non-governmental organizations who contribute to the development of communities in Canada and overseas.
In the immediate term, Canada World Youth pursues its commitment to actively engage youth in community-driven development initiatives in both Canada and our international partner countries. Our programs offer youth unique opportunities to gain the leadership and professional skills needed to contribute to strong civil societies and economic prosperity. With that, Canada World Youth welcomes Minister Flaherty’s investment in skills training for Canadian youth.
About Canada World Youth
Canada World Youth offers world-renowned international volunteer programs to youth from Canada and abroad who, through their participation in community-driven development projects, acquire leadership skills that allow them to become agents of change. Since 1971, more than 35,000 youth have become better informed and active global citizens through Canada World Youth programs.
Canada World Youth is registered with the Canada Revenue Agency as a charitable organization (#118973999RR0001).
Photo: Canada World Youth
- RCMP stonewalled requests for subscriber data collected - March 3, 2015
- Open letter to RCMP commissioner Bob Paulson on climate change and national security - February 23, 2015
- How the people can stop the tide of police militarization - February 10, 2015
- David Suzuki: Digging out of Canada’s mining dilemma - January 19, 2015
- Anonymous Targets Montreal Police For Attacking The Homeless - January 16, 2015
- David Suzuki: Energy shift requires shift in conversation - January 10, 2015
- Online Freedom of Speech Under Seige In “Democracies” Too - January 10, 2015