Elizabeth May urges MPs to vote for the NDP’s housing Bill C-400
“It has been a long-standing policy of the Green Party to promote affordable housing. Ending homelessness is possible. The Greens have always advocated the inclusion of a clause in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms that specifically states that everyone living in Canada is entitled to safe shelter or affordable housing,” said May.
“I urge my fellow MPs to support C-400 and I urge Canadians to contact their MP and express their support for this important bill,” added May.
The Greens’ Leader took part in yesterday’s press conference launching the Homes for Women, a broad-based, long term, national campaign to prevent, reduce and eventually end women’s homelessness.
“Homelessness is a now, sadly, a women’s issue. The development and delivery of adequate universal housing and emergency accommodation must be a high priority. Only a long-term vision will end poverty in this country and tonight’s vote is part of the solution,” added Rebecca Harrison, Green Party Status of women and Poverty Elimination critic.
The Canadian Progressive recommends:
- Elizabeth May calls for a “Guaranteed Livable Income” in Canada
- Canada’s Shame: Acclaimed Inuit Artist Pregnant And Homeless In Ottawa
- No Sting: Feds Won’t Go Undercover to Prove Housing Discrimination
- Alberta has the richest rich and the poorest poor in Canada
Recommended for you:
- Maude Barlow: Five questions for Justin Trudeau, a year later - November 20, 2014
- 5 people who used extreme empathy to change the world - November 20, 2014
- With omnibus Bill C-43, Conservative government going after most vulnerable yet again - November 18, 2014
- Twelve national medical associations join call for Conservative government to drop reckless appeal of refugee health ruling - October 21, 2014
- Climate damages litigation could cost Canadian oil & gas companies billions: study - October 13, 2014
- Making Sense of the CETA - September 28, 2014
- Stephen Harper’s 2014 United Nations General Assembly Address - September 26, 2014