CASWE and CASW joint statement supporting Indigenous peoples of Turtle Island
A Canadian Association of Social Work Education (CASWE) and Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW) joint statement supporting the aspirations of Indigenous peoples of Turtle Island and their aspirations, currently being articulated by #IdleNoMore.
by CASWE and CASW, Jan. 31, 2013:
As social work educators and practitioners the members of the Canadian Association of Social Work Education (CASWE) and Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW) applaud the endeavours of the Indigenous peoples of Turtle Island, as exemplified in the Idle No More Movement, to bring attention to recent legislative changes contained in Bill C45.
Many of the changes embedded in this legislation privilege economic growth and resource development at the expense of the social needs and wellbeing of all Canadians.
The vision of Idle No More draws upon Indigenous Ways of Knowing to protect water, air, land and all creation for future generations. This vision is consistent with the goals and aspirations of the profession of social work.
Social work is dedicated to promoting the individual and collective wellbeing of all peoples and to the advancement of social justice. We are aware of the colonial legacy that impacts the physical, emotional and spiritual wellbeing of Indigenous Peoples and of the historical contribution of social work to this legacy. We call upon all Canadian citizens to join with Indigenous peoples in advocating for laws, policies and practices that end colonialism and restore right relationships among all Canadians, no matter their National origins.
For more information contact:
Dr. Carolyn Campbell
Morel Caissie, MSW, RSW
The Canadian Progressive recommends:
- Canada’s First Nations leaders confront Harper Gvt on Parliament Hill
- What Chief Spence’s Hunger Strike Says About Canada
- Idle No More Movement’s Manifesto
- David Suzuki: The values of hope and happiness - June 15, 2015
- What the Vancouver transit plebiscite means for millennials - April 16, 2015
- WikiLeaks reveals TPP proposal empowering corporations to sue nations - March 27, 2015
- David Suzuki: Let’s not sacrifice freedom out of fear - March 5, 2015
- RCMP stonewalled requests for subscriber data collected - March 3, 2015
- Open letter to RCMP commissioner Bob Paulson on climate change and national security - February 23, 2015
- How the people can stop the tide of police militarization - February 10, 2015