In Canada, Aboriginal people more likely to suffer heart attacks: REPORT
by Canadian Institute of Health Information, Jan. 31, 2013:
Once hospitalized for a heart attack, Aboriginal peoples in Canada are likely to have similar health outcomes as others in this country, according to the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI). Even so, getting such care continues to be a challenge.
Residents of areas with a high concentration of First Nations are more likely to have a heart attack and conditions that complicate their heart disease, such as diabetes, than residents of areas with small Aboriginal populations. Despite this apparent higher need, however, they are less likely to undergo specific cardiac procedures.
Residents of areas with a high concentration of Inuit, meanwhile, are less likely to have a heart attack and diabetes than those living in remote areas with small Aboriginal populations. However, they are just as likely to undergo specific cardiac procedures when hospitalized for a heart attack and—while all of these residents live more than 500 km away from a facility with the necessary cardiac care resources their outcomes are similar following treatment.
CIHI looked at seven years of data for this study. It used an area-based approach to examine these patient groups, as information about patients’ ethnicity is not recorded consistently in Canadian hospital records. Residents of areas with a high concentration of First Nations were compared with residents of areas with small Aboriginal populations, while people living in areas with a high concentration of Inuit were compared with those in remote areas with small Aboriginal populations.
Download PDF Report
The Canadian Progressive recommends:
- Fractured Land: A Dene warrior battles Big Oil and neo-colonialism
- Canada’s Shame: Acclaimed Inuit Artist Pregnant And Homeless In Ottawa
- David Suzuki: Welcome to an extreme, warming world - July 10, 2015
- David Suzuki: The values of hope and happiness - June 15, 2015
- What the Vancouver transit plebiscite means for millennials - April 16, 2015
- WikiLeaks reveals TPP proposal empowering corporations to sue nations - March 27, 2015
- David Suzuki: Let’s not sacrifice freedom out of fear - March 5, 2015
- RCMP stonewalled requests for subscriber data collected - March 3, 2015
- Open letter to RCMP commissioner Bob Paulson on climate change and national security - February 23, 2015