The Ugly Canadian: Three Male Anti-Women’s Rights Harper Conservative MPs
My picks for The Ugly Canadian(s) today are these three male, middle-aged, white, anti-women’s rights Harper Conservative MPs: Maurice Vellacott (Saskatoon-Wanuskwein); Wladyslaw Lizon (Mississauga East-Cooksville); and Leon Benoit (Vegreville-Wainwright).
Earlier this week, it was revealed that the three had initiated another effort to nuke women’s constitutional rights to “bodily security, as well as life, liberty, and autonomy”. They’re seeking to re-open the abortion debate in Canada. On Jan. 23, 2013, they wrote to RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson asked the national police to “investigate late-term abortions as possible homicides.”
The abortion issue was closed in 1988 through the historic “Morgentaler Decision”, when the Supreme Court of Canada struck down the nation’s criminal abortion law. Since then, Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Canadians have consistently maintained that the debate is closed. A law that contravened women’s constitutional rights. Only last September, Parliament overwhelmingly rejected the attempt by Conservative MP Stephen Woodworth to re-open the debate through Motion 312. The motion, disguised as an effort determined the point at which a fetus can be considered to be a “human being”, was defeated by a 203-91 vote.
Let’s move on, already!
The Canadian Progressive recommends:
- Abortion rights group launches website to celebrate historic 1988 Supreme Court “Morgentaler Decision”
- 25 years since the Morgentaler decision: A celebration
- Canada’s Human Rights Reputation is Fast Becoming a Myth
- Conservative MP seeks to open emotive abortion debate
- RCMP’s Misogynistic Response to Galliford Sexual Harassment Claim
- Conservatives nuke motion seeking end to violence against women in Canada - May 27, 2015
- NEB’s Energy East pipeline review must be suspended: Groups - May 26, 2015
- Harper’s the muzzling of Canada’s federal scientists assailed - May 21, 2015
- Harper must clarify ‘zero tolerance’ for Israel boycotters: Church - May 20, 2015
- Federal NDP ahead of Conservatives and Liberals in new poll - May 14, 2015
- Harper’s effort to criminalize legitimate Canadian criticism of Israel is diabolical - May 13, 2015
- Prospect of NDP government in Alberta terrifies Harper Conservatives - May 5, 2015