The Ugly Canadian: Three Male Anti-Women’s Rights Harper Conservative MPs
My picks for The Ugly Canadian(s) today are these three male, middle-aged, white, anti-women’s rights Harper Conservative MPs: Maurice Vellacott (Saskatoon-Wanuskwein); Wladyslaw Lizon (Mississauga East-Cooksville); and Leon Benoit (Vegreville-Wainwright).
Earlier this week, it was revealed that the three had initiated another effort to nuke women’s constitutional rights to “bodily security, as well as life, liberty, and autonomy”. They’re seeking to re-open the abortion debate in Canada. On Jan. 23, 2013, they wrote to RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson asked the national police to “investigate late-term abortions as possible homicides.”
The abortion issue was closed in 1988 through the historic “Morgentaler Decision”, when the Supreme Court of Canada struck down the nation’s criminal abortion law. Since then, Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Canadians have consistently maintained that the debate is closed. A law that contravened women’s constitutional rights. Only last September, Parliament overwhelmingly rejected the attempt by Conservative MP Stephen Woodworth to re-open the debate through Motion 312. The motion, disguised as an effort determined the point at which a fetus can be considered to be a “human being”, was defeated by a 203-91 vote.
Let’s move on, already!
The Canadian Progressive recommends:
- Abortion rights group launches website to celebrate historic 1988 Supreme Court “Morgentaler Decision”
- 25 years since the Morgentaler decision: A celebration
- Canada’s Human Rights Reputation is Fast Becoming a Myth
- Conservative MP seeks to open emotive abortion debate
- RCMP’s Misogynistic Response to Galliford Sexual Harassment Claim
- Harper is Canada’s worst economic manager since World War II - August 4, 2015
- NDP vaults past Conservatives, Liberals after 2015 election call: Poll - August 3, 2015
- Official transcript of Stephen Harper’s remarks launching the 2015 federal election - August 3, 2015
- Sandra Bland to be honoured with a candlelight vigil in Ottawa - July 31, 2015
- WikiLeaks reveals CBC and Canada Post may be sold under TPP agreement - July 30, 2015
- Anonymous threatens to reveal “real reason” John Baird jumped the Conservatives’ sinking ship - July 29, 2015
- Anonymous “now privy to many of Stephen Harper’s most cherished secrets” - July 28, 2015