New social movement assembly launches to take on the Harper agenda
Common Causes to hold solidarity actions across the country
by Council of Canadians | Posted Jan 24, 2013:
The new people’s network is working with progressive partners, including Idle No More, to achieve a common goal: to unite people and communities to provide alternatives to the current Conservative government’s agenda. The launch of Common Causes will take place following a weekend convergence in Ottawa of groups planning a Canada, Quebec, Indigenous Peoples’ Social Forum.
WHO: Common Causes is a new assembly of social movements dedicated to defending democracy, the environment, and human rights.
WHAT: There will be a series of actions and events from coast to coast to launch Common Causes.
WHEN: Monday, January 28
WHERE: Ottawa, Nanaimo, Sechelt/Sunshine Coast, Vancouver, Kelowna, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Prince Albert, Toronto, Guelph, London, Windsor, Montreal, Halifax, Charlottetown, and Saint John.
WHY: The movements uniting in Common Causes believe that coordinated action is needed to take a strong stand against the Harper conservative agenda that is changing society in a broad range of critical areas such as the economy, the environment, Indigenous rights, labour rights, health care, food safety, education, social programs, culture, civil liberties, peace, and poverty.
- Council of Canadians supports First Nations legal challenge to Canada-China investment treaty (FIPA)
- Council of Canadians: We need a “Great Free Trade Debate” on Canada-EU trade deal
- Harper’s CNOOC/Nexen deal pushes Canada closer to becoming a China-dominated petro-state
- Maude Barlow: Conservatives rejected again… next stop Federal Court!
- Harper government bills that enraged First Nations, Theresa Spence, and birthed #IdleNoMore
- David Suzuki: The values of hope and happiness - June 15, 2015
- What the Vancouver transit plebiscite means for millennials - April 16, 2015
- WikiLeaks reveals TPP proposal empowering corporations to sue nations - March 27, 2015
- David Suzuki: Let’s not sacrifice freedom out of fear - March 5, 2015
- RCMP stonewalled requests for subscriber data collected - March 3, 2015
- Open letter to RCMP commissioner Bob Paulson on climate change and national security - February 23, 2015
- How the people can stop the tide of police militarization - February 10, 2015