In Tehran, A Creepy New Anti-Obama Billboard (PHOTO)
Photo credit: asriran.com
A new billboard in downtown Tehran has U.S. President Barack Obama side by side with Shmer, a seventh-century villain in Shia Islam. Obama is sort of leaning on the scary-looking Shmer, who is handing the viewer a scroll or something.
Phot credit: asriran.com
This is an example of what one might call “high-context” propaganda. Whereas in America unfounded insinuations that Obama is a Muslim come from his enemies, in Iran they come from admirers. As Iranian-American journalist Hooman Majd recalls in his 2012 book, The Ayatollahs’ Democracy, Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign inspired rumours in Iran that the senator from Illinois had Iranian roots. Some fans made much of his middle name – Hussein – which he shares with the central martyr in Shia theology, the prophet Muhammad’s grandson. Others made an omen of his surname, observing that it sounds like Oo ba ma’st, or “He’s with us”, in Farsi.
The Tehran mural aims to invert this occult symbolism by recourse to Shia tradition. The villain Shemr belongs to the narrative of Hussein’s martyrdom at the Battle of Karbala in 680, the trauma that split Muslims into Sunni and Shia denominations. The Shia, or “Party of Ali” (Muhammad’s cousin and son-in-law) sought hereditary leadership of Islam. After the murder of the Caliph Ali, and the death of Ali’s son and successor Hassan, Ali’s younger son Hussein clashed for succession with the Umayyad Caliph Yazid, who sent Shemr’s army to destroy Hussein and his followers. Shemr offered some of Hussein’s supporters a “letter of protection” in exchange for betraying him, but they refused.
In the mural, Shemr extends a similar letter to the viewer, as he and Obama utter the words Ba ma bash – “be with us” – playing on the president’s name, and insinuating that anyone who still likes Obama in the wake of tightening sanctions – or who advocates meeting American, EU, or International Atomic Energy Agency demands over Iran’s nuclear programme to avoid conflict – is a traitor to the faith. Obama, the state insists, is a “Hussein” unworthy of loyalty.
- President Barack Obama’s 2nd Inaugural Address: Full Text
- U.S.: Cutting through the indefinite detention and NDAA controversy
- Watergate Journalist Carl Bernstein Spoke at Event Supporting Iranian ‘Terrorist’ Group
- Why the U.S. Won’t Allow Dying Iranian Sociologist to Join His Family
- The Young Turks’ Cenk Uygur On Obama’s “Kill List” (VIDEO)
- For Iran, A Generic U.S. Drone
- Occupy Boston: No War On Iran
Latest posts by Obert Madondo (see all)
- Public Safety Committee Thwarts Canadian Police Chiefs’ Hunger For Lawful Access Powers - May 16, 2017
- Canada Revenue Agency suspends controversial Harper-era audit of charities - May 11, 2017
- Canadian Conservatives still support the TPP, which died after Trump’s withdrawal - April 20, 2017
- New Honorary Canadian Citizen Malala Yousafzai’s Speech To The Parliament Of Canada - April 15, 2017