Welcome to #Ottawapiskat, the “Settler Nations” reserve and Canada’s capital
You’ll get a kick out of this post. I guarantee it!
— Joanne DiNova (@shootsleft) January 14, 2013
Last week, right-wing character assassins in the corporate and social media universes mounted an unprecedented attack on hunger-striking Chief Theresa Spence, spreading malicious allegations financial management of her northern Ontario First Nation reserve of Attawapiskat. Over the weekend, progressive and Idle No More activists took to Twitter to respond to the racism-inspired attacks, and the hypocrisy of the government of Prime Minister Stephen Harper on First Nations issues.
Aaron Paquette, an Edmonton-based Idle No More activist, created the Twitter hashtag “Ottawapiskat”. Basically, the guy imagined how the world might view and discuss Ottawa if it was a reserve. “#Ottawapiskat is a word that popped in my head last night as I was painting. I literally laughed out loud and had to share it,” he said later on Twitter.
By Sunday evening #Ottawapiskat was trending only behind the Golden Globes. Then it caught the attention of social media-savvy Canadian author, Margaret Atwood, and internationally acclaimed Canadian author and social activist, Naomi Klein. In the last few hours, the hashtag has become the springboard for commentary on key political issues, including the Harper government’s draconian cuts to essential services, questionable spending, the Conservative majority, federal debt, unelected Senate and alleged election fraud during the May 2011 federal election.
These are the best of the best:
#Ottawapiskat debt hovering around $600,000,000,000. Might be time for a third-party manager.
— Hayden King (@Hayden_King) January 14, 2013
— Obert Madondo (@Obiemad) January 14, 2013
Remember when the chief and council of #Ottawapiskat were found to be in contempt of parliament?
— syd (@popsociologist) January 14, 2013
Chief Harper has been using the funds of #Ottawapiskat in very untransparent ways. He refuses to cooperate with Mr Page, the third party mgr
— Mark McCaw (@bigpicguy) January 14, 2013
— Joe Szalai (@JoeSzalai) January 14, 2013
#Ottawapiskat Chief and Council vote against increasing punishment for election fraud. Vote to enprison masked protesters for 10 years.
— Su(@Urban_Su) January 14, 2013
Those poor ignorant people of#Ottawapiskat and Chief Harper! All they need is to be educated and assimilated in with civilized people.
— Arlene Adamo (@ArleneAdamo) January 14, 2013
Indigenous nations are offering to relocate residents of #Ottawapiskat until an adequate decolonization plan can be provided for them.
— Jarrett Martineau (@culturite) January 14, 2013
— trapdinawrpool (@trapdinawrpool) January 13, 2013
The Chief of #Ottawapiskat lives in a cushy mansion rent-free while costing taxpayers hundreds of thousands a year for his dubious service.
— Nipissing Blue (@Binesci) January 14, 2013
In #Ottawapiskat if you question the chief and council, they discredit you and start rumors that you aren’t even a real band member.
— Tim Catcheway (@TimCatcheway) January 14, 2013
In #Ottawapiskat unelected elders make huge salaries for no useful work. They call it the Senate.
— Kenneth Yurchuk (@JKennethY) January 13, 2013
To purify the spirit of his subjects, #Ottawapiskat chief uses holy smoke by burning traditional tar sands in a Conservative ritual.
— Jean-Luc Ratel (@jlratel) January 14, 2013
— RedIndianGirl (@RedIndianGirl) January 14, 2013
— Munib Sajjad (@MunibSajjad) January 14, 2013
— Beari8it (@Beari8it) January 14, 2013
- Chief Spence says Harper government has encouraged “segregation”
- Hunger striker Chief Spence urges supporters to maintain pressure on Stephen Harper
- What Chief Spence’s Hunger Strike Says About Canada
- Amnesty International Urges Harper to meet with hunger striker Chief Spence
- Hunger striker Chief Theresa Spence gets 5 500 Twitter followers in only 40 hours
- Where Did All Those Racist Anti-Obama Tweets Come From? Here’s the Science
- On Canada’s Independence Day, #denounceHarper & #HappyCanadaDay
- Conservatives Bill C-30: Upset Canadians #TellVicEverything
Latest posts by Obert Madondo (see all)
- Watch Naomi Klein Explain “How to Resist Trump’s Shock Doctrine” - June 13, 2017
- Edward Snowden defends jailed NSA contractor Reality Winner - June 8, 2017
- Intolerance-inspired effort to defund Pride Toronto thwarted - May 26, 2017
- Public Safety Committee Thwarts Canadian Police Chiefs’ Hunger For Lawful Access Powers - May 16, 2017