Theresa Spence Hunger Strike: Social Media Conversation on Friday, December 28, 2012
Today, Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence’s indefinite hunger strike, taking place here in Ottawa, enters Day 18. Spence started her peaceful protest on December 11, 2012. She’s demanding a meeting involving Prime Minister Stephen Harper, a representative of the Queen and First Nations leaders. She wants to discuss treaty agreements between Canada and First Nations, and recent legislation that seeks disempower, exploit, control and marginalize First Nations. Spence’s peaceful protest is the human incarnation of the pain and struggles aboriginal people endure every day. Spence is calling us to compassion, fairness and respect for fundamental rights. She’s urging Canadians and First Nations to rediscover the lost art of democratic conversation. You can follow Chief Spence on Twitter via: @ChiefTheresa. Check out our coverage of the protest via these categories: First Nations, Chief Theresa Spence Hunger Strike and Idle No More.
Here’s a sample of the conversation on the social media today:
- Why does it take a hunger strike to gain media attention for Aboriginal issues in Canada?
- What Chief Spence’s Hunger Strike Says About Canada
- To Chief Theresa Spence, From Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan
- Hunger striker Chief Theresa Spence gets 5 500 Twitter followers in only 40 hours
Recommended for you:
- Maude Barlow: Five questions for Justin Trudeau, a year later - November 20, 2014
- 5 people who used extreme empathy to change the world - November 20, 2014
- With omnibus Bill C-43, Conservative government going after most vulnerable yet again - November 18, 2014
- Twelve national medical associations join call for Conservative government to drop reckless appeal of refugee health ruling - October 21, 2014
- Climate damages litigation could cost Canadian oil & gas companies billions: study - October 13, 2014
- Making Sense of the CETA - September 28, 2014
- Stephen Harper’s 2014 United Nations General Assembly Address - September 26, 2014