Elizabeth May’s Green Party of Canada supports the #idlenomore movement
The Green Party of Canada calls on all Canadians to take part in #idlenomore events throughout Canada. Green Leader Elizabeth May, Member of Parliament for Saanich-Gulf Islands, specifically invites citizens to take part in the 21 December 2012 rally in Ottawa.
“Harper’s record on Aboriginal Affairs is dishonourable. The C-45 Omnibus bill included legislative changes detrimental to First Nations. I tabled amendments to ensure that the definition of aboriginal fisheries was fully respectful of First Nations and aboriginal treaties and inherent rights,” said May.
“Furthermore, our amendments on the Navigable Waters Protection Act would have ensured the on-going protection of rights to navigation for Aboriginal people, and all Canadians, on all water bodies in Canada, and not just 62 rivers and 97 lakes. The government defeated all the amendments we put forward,” added May.
“First Nations members have every right to be angry at Harper’s Conservatives,” concluded the Green leader.
Lorraine Rekmans, Green Critic for Aboriginal Affairs, will represent the Green Party at the Ottawa rally. “I have a hard time believing Stephen Harper represents the interest and will of Canadians. Most Canadians want improved standards of life for First Nations, not marginalization at the hand of corporations. When injustice becomes entrenched in law, resistance becomes our duty. We cannot stand idly by and watch the erosion of constitutionally protected rights,” said Rekmans.
- Green Party of Canada: Operation Pillar of Defense Is Not The Answer
- Elizabeth May wants CSIS to weigh in on Canada-China treaty
- Elizabeth May calls for a “Guaranteed Livable Income” in Canada
- Harper’s new anti-Trudeau ad is hilarious and mediocre - May 28, 2015
- Conservatives nuke motion seeking end to violence against women in Canada - May 27, 2015
- NEB’s Energy East pipeline review must be suspended: Groups - May 26, 2015
- Harper’s the muzzling of Canada’s federal scientists assailed - May 21, 2015
- Harper must clarify ‘zero tolerance’ for Israel boycotters: Church - May 20, 2015
- Federal NDP ahead of Conservatives and Liberals in new poll - May 14, 2015
- Harper’s effort to criminalize legitimate Canadian criticism of Israel is diabolical - May 13, 2015