Elizabeth May’s Green Party of Canada supports the #idlenomore movement
The Green Party of Canada calls on all Canadians to take part in #idlenomore events throughout Canada. Green Leader Elizabeth May, Member of Parliament for Saanich-Gulf Islands, specifically invites citizens to take part in the 21 December 2012 rally in Ottawa.
“Harper’s record on Aboriginal Affairs is dishonourable. The C-45 Omnibus bill included legislative changes detrimental to First Nations. I tabled amendments to ensure that the definition of aboriginal fisheries was fully respectful of First Nations and aboriginal treaties and inherent rights,” said May.
“Furthermore, our amendments on the Navigable Waters Protection Act would have ensured the on-going protection of rights to navigation for Aboriginal people, and all Canadians, on all water bodies in Canada, and not just 62 rivers and 97 lakes. The government defeated all the amendments we put forward,” added May.
“First Nations members have every right to be angry at Harper’s Conservatives,” concluded the Green leader.
Lorraine Rekmans, Green Critic for Aboriginal Affairs, will represent the Green Party at the Ottawa rally. “I have a hard time believing Stephen Harper represents the interest and will of Canadians. Most Canadians want improved standards of life for First Nations, not marginalization at the hand of corporations. When injustice becomes entrenched in law, resistance becomes our duty. We cannot stand idly by and watch the erosion of constitutionally protected rights,” said Rekmans.
- Green Party of Canada: Operation Pillar of Defense Is Not The Answer
- Elizabeth May wants CSIS to weigh in on Canada-China treaty
- Elizabeth May calls for a “Guaranteed Livable Income” in Canada
- In Vancouver, Canada’s first annual Charter of Rights and Freedoms march - April 17, 2015
- Jian Ghomeshi’s abusive behaviour condoned by CBC: Report - April 16, 2015
- A roaring Week of Education on Harper’s police state Bill C-51 - April 15, 2015
- Rights groups demand unconditional dismissal of Bill C-51 - April 13, 2015
- Relocate Victims of Communism Memorial or Cancel Project - April 11, 2015
- Quebec’s Second Largest Union To Campaign Against Harper During 2015 Federal Election - April 10, 2015
- British Colombia: Illiterate “cutthroat psychopaths” in the Harper PMO - April 8, 2015