Elizabeth May’s Green Party of Canada supports the #idlenomore movement
The Green Party of Canada calls on all Canadians to take part in #idlenomore events throughout Canada. Green Leader Elizabeth May, Member of Parliament for Saanich-Gulf Islands, specifically invites citizens to take part in the 21 December 2012 rally in Ottawa.
“Harper’s record on Aboriginal Affairs is dishonourable. The C-45 Omnibus bill included legislative changes detrimental to First Nations. I tabled amendments to ensure that the definition of aboriginal fisheries was fully respectful of First Nations and aboriginal treaties and inherent rights,” said May.
“Furthermore, our amendments on the Navigable Waters Protection Act would have ensured the on-going protection of rights to navigation for Aboriginal people, and all Canadians, on all water bodies in Canada, and not just 62 rivers and 97 lakes. The government defeated all the amendments we put forward,” added May.
“First Nations members have every right to be angry at Harper’s Conservatives,” concluded the Green leader.
Lorraine Rekmans, Green Critic for Aboriginal Affairs, will represent the Green Party at the Ottawa rally. “I have a hard time believing Stephen Harper represents the interest and will of Canadians. Most Canadians want improved standards of life for First Nations, not marginalization at the hand of corporations. When injustice becomes entrenched in law, resistance becomes our duty. We cannot stand idly by and watch the erosion of constitutionally protected rights,” said Rekmans.
- Green Party of Canada: Operation Pillar of Defense Is Not The Answer
- Elizabeth May wants CSIS to weigh in on Canada-China treaty
- Elizabeth May calls for a “Guaranteed Livable Income” in Canada
Recommended for you:
- Conservative MP Tom Lukiwski called female candidate an “NDP whore” - November 20, 2015
- Trans-Pacific Partnership Leaders Statement - November 19, 2015
- Charlie Sheen reveals he’s HIV-positive: “I accept this condition” - November 17, 2015
- John Oliver Rants Against Paris Attackers: “Fuck These Assholes” - November 16, 2015
- 100 groups urge Trudeau to halt Canada’s “broken” tar sands pipeline approval process - November 14, 2015
- Federal Court judge said sex assault complainant “allowed the sex to happen” - November 10, 2015
- BREAKING: Barack Obama Rejects Keystone XL Pipeline - November 6, 2015