Hunger Striker Chief Theresa Spence’s Exclusive Interview With The CBC
In this exclusive interview with the CBC’s Chris Rands, hunger striker Chief Theresa Spence explains her peaceful protest.
Spence, the Chief of the northern Ontario First Nation reserve of Attawapiskat, started her indefinite hunger strike here in Ottawa on December 11 to protest the Harper government’s continuing abuse of First Nations.
She is demanding an immediate meeting with Prime Minister Stephen Harper and a representative of the Crown to discuss the broken treaty relationship between First Nations and Canada.
Other First Nation leaders and labor unions have urged Harper to meet with Chief Spence.
“If he can find time in his schedule to meet Justin Bieber, he can find the time to meet with Chief Spence,” said James Clancy, the national president of the National Union of Public and General Employees (NUPGE), one of Canada’s largest labour organizations with over 340,000 members.
Clancy continued: “This government has an obligation to meet with First Nations leaders to engage in a dialogue on a range of important issues. Instead of doing photo opportunities with pop stars or newlyweds or kissing babies he should be meeting with Chief Theresa Spence in an effort to help First Nations communities.”
If Canadians really care about Chief Spence’s health and aboriginal issues, they must pressure Harper to get off his high horses and listen.
- What Chief Spence’s Hunger Strike Says About Canada
- As Theresa Spence’s hunger strike enters second week, National Chief Atleo calls for urgent meeting with Harper
- National labor union urges Harper to meet with hunger striking Chief Theresa Spence
Recommended for you:
Latest posts by Obert Madondo (see all)
- Canadian Conservatives still support the TPP, which died after Trump’s withdrawal - April 20, 2017
- New Honorary Canadian Citizen Malala Yousafzai’s Speech To The Parliament Of Canada - April 15, 2017
- Nobel Laureates Assailed Honorary Canadian Citizen Aung San Suu Kyi Over Myanmar’s Persecution Of Rohingya People - April 10, 2017
- Dmitry Medvedev on US airstrikes on Syria: “On the verge of a military clash with Russia” - April 9, 2017