U.S. Election 2012: There Was a War on Women, and the Women Won
If you think the big winners of Tuesday night’s election were Barack Obama and the Democrats, you’re wrong. Journalist, opinion writer, and author of two books on progressive politics, Amanda Marcotte, argues, convincingly, that the big winners were women.
That’s because Republicans like Rep. Todd Akin declared war on women, and women and their allies fought back. And won.
Marcotte writes on Slate.com:
And not just because we’re the majority of voters and most politicians crawl over each other to appeal to us. Last night, when Tammy Baldwin won her race in Wisconsin, it meant a record number of women would be going on to serve in the Senate come January. Other new female faces joining the Senate are Deb Fischer, Mazie Hirono, Elizabeth Warren, and likely Heidi Heitkamp, though right now it looks like her victory in North Dakota might have to wait until after a recount. All of the new women, except for Nebraska’s Fischer, are Democrats. If Heitkamp wins in North Dakota, it will bring the number of women in the Senate from 17 (with two female Republicans retiring) to 20. In the past 15 years, this number has more than doubled.
More from Slate.com
- Pat Robertson Can’t Understand Why Women Would Watch Porn (VIDEO)
- U.S. election 2012: Rachel Maddow unloads on delusional Republicans
Recommended for you:
- Brigette DePape, young activists to Storm the Dorm at university campuses to boost youth voter turnout - October 3, 2015
- Exposed: 356 Conservative donors rewarded with high profile appointments under Harper - October 2, 2015
- Harper scolded by Conservatives over grotesque anti-communism memorial in Ottawa - October 1, 2015
- Margaret Atwood leads artists’ rebellion against Harper’s Bill C-51 - September 30, 2015
- Harper election strategist Lynton Crosby linked to global tax havens - September 29, 2015
- CBC plan to sell off buildings part of Harper’s diabolical privatization agenda - September 27, 2015
- Pentagon Official Shoots Down Stephen Harper’s Baseless F-35 Fighter Jet Warning - September 23, 2015