Powershift 2012: 1000 youth in Ottawa to demand justice
by: We Are Powershift | Published Oct. 26, 2012
From October 26 to October 29, 1000 youth from across the country will converge at Power Shift 2012 in Ottawa to galvanize a broad movement pushing the federal government to aggressively reduce carbon emissions and tackle the corporations that are fueling climate change, building on the momentum of the tar sands pipeline protests on the west coast and the Maple Spring movement in Quebec.
The Power Shift 2012 convergence kicks off on Friday, October 26th, includes a press conference on Saturday morning, and culminates on Monday, October 29th with a massive rally demanding the federal government stop handing out $1.4 billion yearly to the fossil fuel industry and invest instead in renewable energy, green jobs and social programs.
“We are coming together to envision a society that prioritizes the health and well-being of all communities, now and into the future, and respects the limits of ecological systems. We are tired of governments and corporations who pit economic growth and the environment against each other. Addressing the climate crisis requires a re-distribution of power, in order to bring about a more equitable society,” said Kathryn Lennon, an Alberta organizer and spokesperson for Power Shift 2012.
The four-day convergence will include many media opportunities:
● Keynote lectures by Naomi Klein, Winona LaDuke, Bill McKibben and many others
● Panels and workshops, and activist trainings in civil disobedience and lobbying
● A day of action when a thousand youth and many others will join a ‘Trick or Treat’ March for Climate Justice, demanding an end to the yearly handout of $1.4 billion in taxpayer money to the richest, dirtiest corporations in the world
About Power Shift 2012
Power Shift 2012 is organized by a broad coalition of groups including representatives from labour unions, environmental groups, student associations, Indigenous organizations, and grassroots networks.
For more information visit: http://www.wearepowershift.ca
For a media backgrounder visit: http://www.wearepowershift.ca/node/4509
Recommended for you:
Latest posts by Guest Blog (see all)
- David Suzuki: Eating less meat will reduce Earth’s heat - May 20, 2016
- David Suzuki: Divest from damage and invest in a healthier future - May 8, 2016
- Whistleblowers and leak activists face powerful elites in struggle to control information - April 9, 2016
- Michael Geist: Why Journalism is not Dying in the Digital Age - February 27, 2016