Who is sponsoring Canada’s Democracy Week? Elections Canada, of course
Are you like millions of Canadians outraged by Prime Minister Stephen Harper‘s relentless assault on our democratic institutions, traditions and values? Maybe you’re wondering if the Harper can really be stopped? This week (September 15-22) is the week to do find answers. And do something about Canada’s ailing democracy.
It’s Democracy Week (September 15-22) in Canada.
Enter Elections Canada, the “independent” and “non-partisan” agency responsible for conducting federal elections and referendums – the sponsor and brains behind the initiative. Oh yes, the same Elections Canada seemingly sabotaging the Etobicoke Centre by-election, which was ordered by the Ontario Superior court. The same Elections Canada which paid a former RCMP investigator $95,523 for visiting only one of the 234 Canada-wide ridings negatively impacted by the robocalls scandal.
Not to worry: Democracy Week has all the noble intentions. It “celebrates democracy and its positive impact on life in Canada. It’s a chance to celebrate our democracy and talk about the importance of voting.” And the theme this year “is discovery – it’s about learning something new about democracy and how elections work.”
In fact, Democracy Week is also a continued celebration of the annual United Nations International Day of Democracy, held annually on September 15. The United Nations International Day of Democracy explains the essence of the day:
Democracy is as much a process as a goal, and only with the full participation of and support by the international community, national governing bodies, civil society and individuals, can the ideal of democracy be made into a reality to be enjoyed by everyone, everywhere.
Civil society organizations genuinely involved with Democracy Week include:
- Elections Canada Out To Sabotage Etobicoke Centre By-election
- Elections Canada keeps rulings secret on 2,982 complaints since 1997
- Nuked: Robocalls Scandal Investigation And Elections Canada
- Anonymous threatens to reveal “real reason” John Baird jumped the Conservatives’ sinking ship - July 29, 2015
- Anonymous “now privy to many of Stephen Harper’s most cherished secrets” - July 28, 2015
- Trudeau rebuked as Conservative defector Eve Adams loses Liberal nomination bid - July 27, 2015
- Harper’s draconian cuts making the Canadian public service bleed [VIDEO] - July 23, 2015
- Rights Groups Launch Charter Challenge Against Harper’s Bill C-51 - July 22, 2015
- Pierre Poilievre’s Conservative T-shirt violated the rules - July 21, 2015
- RCMP national website downed, Anonymous claims responsibility - July 19, 2015