Faking Syrian War Images To Manipulate The Western Public
The demonization of genocidal dictators like Syrian President Bashar Hafez al-Assad is standard practice in the western media’s coverage of developing-world crises. In the photo-shopped imaged below, The Krone (Die Kronen Zeitung), Austria’s biggest newspaper, shows how to manipulate the Syrian uprising for a gullible western public.
In its July 28 edition, the paper pasted the picture of an Arab family to a war-ravaged background, a bombed-out apartment block in Allepo, the epicenter of the 19-month uprising against the Assad regime. The change is spectacular. A family walking through an ordinary Arab urban landscape becomes a family fleeing a war-torn Syrian city.
And, in case the reader wouldn’t be shocked and awed enough, the headline screamed: Assads Armee rollt mit Panzem zur, Mutter aller Schlachten (“Assad’s Army tanks pave the way for the ‘mother of all battles'”). The Krone is most influential newspapers in the world. The publication’s average daily readership of 2,970,000, which translates into to 43.7% of all newspaper readers in Austria.
An alert Reddit user spotted the fabrication.
Photo via: PS Disasters
- For Canada, a commitment to the environment and jobs is possible - July 3, 2015
- Ditch the expensive and risky F-35 fighter jet, Mr. Harper - July 2, 2015
- Tar Sands Documentary: To the Ends of the Earth - June 22, 2015
- Jon Stewart Dissects Charleston Terrorist Attack, Its Rhodesia Inspiration - June 19, 2015
- Anonymous Attacks Harper Government Websites In Bill C-51 Protest - June 17, 2015
- Senate expenses scandal “the most Canadian of scandals”: John Oliver - June 16, 2015
- Conservatives ask Liberals to “apologize for decades of racism” - June 12, 2015