Faking Syrian War Images To Manipulate The Western Public
The demonization of genocidal dictators like Syrian President Bashar Hafez al-Assad is standard practice in the western media’s coverage of developing-world crises. In the photo-shopped imaged below, The Krone (Die Kronen Zeitung), Austria’s biggest newspaper, shows how to manipulate the Syrian uprising for a gullible western public.
In its July 28 edition, the paper pasted the picture of an Arab family to a war-ravaged background, a bombed-out apartment block in Allepo, the epicenter of the 19-month uprising against the Assad regime. The change is spectacular. A family walking through an ordinary Arab urban landscape becomes a family fleeing a war-torn Syrian city.
And, in case the reader wouldn’t be shocked and awed enough, the headline screamed: Assads Armee rollt mit Panzem zur, Mutter aller Schlachten (“Assad’s Army tanks pave the way for the ‘mother of all battles'”). The Krone is most influential newspapers in the world. The publication’s average daily readership of 2,970,000, which translates into to 43.7% of all newspaper readers in Austria.
An alert Reddit user spotted the fabrication.
Photo via: PS Disasters
- Bell Canada Slapped With $750 Million Class-Action Lawsuit - April 20, 2015
- In Vancouver, Canada’s first annual Charter of Rights and Freedoms march - April 17, 2015
- Jian Ghomeshi’s abusive behaviour condoned by CBC: Report - April 16, 2015
- A roaring Week of Education on Harper’s police state Bill C-51 - April 15, 2015
- Rights groups demand unconditional dismissal of Bill C-51 - April 13, 2015
- Relocate Victims of Communism Memorial or Cancel Project - April 11, 2015
- Quebec’s Second Largest Union To Campaign Against Harper During 2015 Federal Election - April 10, 2015