Faking Syrian War Images To Manipulate The Western Public
The demonization of genocidal dictators like Syrian President Bashar Hafez al-Assad is standard practice in the western media’s coverage of developing-world crises. In the photo-shopped imaged below, The Krone (Die Kronen Zeitung), Austria’s biggest newspaper, shows how to manipulate the Syrian uprising for a gullible western public.
In its July 28 edition, the paper pasted the picture of an Arab family to a war-ravaged background, a bombed-out apartment block in Allepo, the epicenter of the 19-month uprising against the Assad regime. The change is spectacular. A family walking through an ordinary Arab urban landscape becomes a family fleeing a war-torn Syrian city.
And, in case the reader wouldn’t be shocked and awed enough, the headline screamed: Assads Armee rollt mit Panzem zur, Mutter aller Schlachten (“Assad’s Army tanks pave the way for the ‘mother of all battles'”). The Krone is most influential newspapers in the world. The publication’s average daily readership of 2,970,000, which translates into to 43.7% of all newspaper readers in Austria.
An alert Reddit user spotted the fabrication.
Photo via: PS Disasters
- Sandra Bland to be honoured with a candlelight vigil in Ottawa - July 31, 2015
- WikiLeaks reveals CBC and Canada Post may be sold under TPP agreement - July 30, 2015
- Anonymous threatens to reveal “real reason” John Baird jumped the Conservatives’ sinking ship - July 29, 2015
- Anonymous “now privy to many of Stephen Harper’s most cherished secrets” - July 28, 2015
- Trudeau rebuked as Conservative defector Eve Adams loses Liberal nomination bid - July 27, 2015
- Harper’s draconian cuts making the Canadian public service bleed [VIDEO] - July 23, 2015
- Rights Groups Launch Charter Challenge Against Harper’s Bill C-51 - July 22, 2015