Faking Syrian War Images To Manipulate The Western Public
The demonization of genocidal dictators like Syrian President Bashar Hafez al-Assad is standard practice in the western media’s coverage of developing-world crises. In the photo-shopped imaged below, The Krone (Die Kronen Zeitung), Austria’s biggest newspaper, shows how to manipulate the Syrian uprising for a gullible western public.
In its July 28 edition, the paper pasted the picture of an Arab family to a war-ravaged background, a bombed-out apartment block in Allepo, the epicenter of the 19-month uprising against the Assad regime. The change is spectacular. A family walking through an ordinary Arab urban landscape becomes a family fleeing a war-torn Syrian city.
And, in case the reader wouldn’t be shocked and awed enough, the headline screamed: Assads Armee rollt mit Panzem zur, Mutter aller Schlachten (“Assad’s Army tanks pave the way for the ‘mother of all battles'”). The Krone is most influential newspapers in the world. The publication’s average daily readership of 2,970,000, which translates into to 43.7% of all newspaper readers in Austria.
An alert Reddit user spotted the fabrication.
Photo via: PS Disasters
Recommended for you:
- Justin Trudeau to give Canada’s NSA more powers to spy on Canadians - October 6, 2015
- Michael Geist: Why Universal, Affordable Internet Access Should be 2015 Election Campaign Issue - October 5, 2015
- Underage girls, booze and other reasons to dump Conservative MP Rick Dykstra - October 4, 2015
- Brigette DePape, young activists to Storm the Dorm at university campuses to boost youth voter turnout - October 3, 2015
- Exposed: 356 Conservative donors rewarded with high profile appointments under Harper - October 2, 2015
- Harper scolded by Conservatives over grotesque anti-communism memorial in Ottawa - October 1, 2015
- Margaret Atwood leads artists’ rebellion against Harper’s Bill C-51 - September 30, 2015