This journal entry covers days 12, 13 and 14 (March 25, 26 and 27) my indefinite hunger strike against Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the Conservatives’ draconian Safe Streets and Communities Act (Bill C-10). I started the peaceful protest at 12:01am on Wednesday, March 14. Two of my 5 demands: Repeal of the Act in its entirety, and immediate resignation of newly-appointed Conservative senator Vernon White.
After the weakness and mild chest pains I experienced over the weekend, I’m feeling much better. And my spirits are high.
- Marched to Parliament Hill and delivered my Open Letter to Parliament of Canada. Told to put the letter in the mail.
- Had a great interview with Michelle Devlin, a freelance writer/journalist and anchor at AllVoices. And this article: Hunger Strike Activist Spurned At Doors of Canada’s Parliament: “Go Put It In The Mail”
- Received generic response to my Letter to the Governor General of Canada
- Assisted Jeremy to edit YouTube video
- Through my Facebook Profile, blog, Twitter account and email, received dozens of messages of solidarity and support from across Canada and beyond. Thank you!
- Handed over of the following five key functions to teams of supporters: Media and PR; Health & Safety; Actions; Outreach and Video Production
- Friends and supporters created Facebook Event: Ottawa Bill C10 Hunger Striker’s March to Parliament Hill
- Attended health and safety monitoring meeting
Previous journal entries:
- Obert Madondo’s Bill C-10 Hunger Strike: Day 2 Update
- Obert Madondo’s Bill C-10 Hunger Strike: Day 5 Update
- Obert Madondo’s Bill C-10 Hunger Strike: Day 7 Update
- Obert Madondo’s Indefinited Bill C-10 Hunger Strike: Day 9 Update
- Obert Madondo’s Bill C-10 Hunger Strike: Day 11 Update
In the works:
- Solidarity hunger strike at the Canadian Human Rights Memorial
- Friends of Obert Facebook group
- Final edit of YouTube video
Latest posts by Nehanda 1896 (see all)
- Occupy Movement Gets Its Own TV Station - August 30, 2014
- Privacy Tools: How to Block Online Tracking - August 30, 2014
- Where Oil Meets Water: Energy East an unacceptable risk to waterways - August 19, 2014