At 12:01am on Wednesday, March 14, I started an indefinite hunger strike against the Conservative Government’s new Safe Streets and Communities Act (crime Bill C-10). My five demands include the immediate repeal of the Act and resignation of Senator Vernon White.
- Letter to Parliament of Canada
- Letter to the Governor General of Canada
- Letter to Canadian MPs
- Media Coverage:
- Activist protests omnibus crime bill with hunger strike, Rabble.ca
- Hunger strike activist spurned at doors of Canada’s Parliament: “Go put it in the mail”, AllVoices
- Ottawa man to go on hunger strike to protest Bill C-10, Metro News
- Man begins hunger strike to protest omnibus crime bill, Centretown News
- Taking a stand against ‘draconian’ crime bill, EMC Ottawa South
- Occupier begins hunger strike to protest crime bill, Charlatan
- Selected Journal Entries:
- Upcoming Public Actions:
- 24-hour Solidarity Hunger Strike (details coming soon)
- Completed Public Actions:
- 12-hour Solidarity Hunger Strike at the Canadian Human Rights Monument (Ottawa)
- Ottawa Bill C-10 Hunger Striker’s March to Parliament Hill
Through this law, our over-compensated and tyrannical petro-prime minister, Stephen Harper, seeks to impose on Canada an insidious, war-loving, pro-punishment, anti-science, poverty-ignoring and anti-minority right-wing worldview.
The Act will expand state power, weaken the judiciary, divide society, take away Canadians’ rights and freedoms, create resentment of the “other”, and punish the weak and marginalized. It will obliterate these Canadian values: compassion, multiculturalism, inclusion, diversity, fairness, democratic governance, respect for fundamental rights and the rule of law, and accommodation of difference. I’ll continue the hunger strike until the Act is repealed in its entirety, and the other four demands are met.