Chris Hedges: What Happened to Canada?
by: Chris Hedges | TRUTHDIG | Posted Jan 31, 2012
What happened to Canada? It used to be the country we would flee to if life in the United States became unpalatable. No nuclear weapons. No huge military-industrial complex. Universal health care. Funding for the arts. A good record on the environment.
But that was the old Canada. I was in Montreal on Friday and Saturday and saw the familiar and disturbing tentacles of the security and surveillance state. Canada has withdrawn from the Kyoto Accords so it can dig up the Alberta tar sands in an orgy of environmental degradation. It carried out the largest mass arrests of demonstrators in Canadian history at 2010’s G-8 and G-20 meetings, rounding up more than 1,000 people. It sends undercover police into indigenous communities and activist groups and is handing out stiff prison terms to dissenters.
And Canada’s Prime Minister Stephen Harper is a diminished version of George W. Bush. He champions the rabid right wing in Israel, bows to the whims of global financiers and is a Christian fundamentalist.
The voices of dissent sound like our own. And the forms of persecution are familiar. This is not an accident. We are fighting the same corporate leviathan.
- Trudeau To Support Harper’ Imminent Iraq War Extension - March 2, 2015
- Maude Barlow: Five questions for Justin Trudeau, a year later - November 20, 2014
- 5 people who used extreme empathy to change the world - November 20, 2014
- With omnibus Bill C-43, Conservative government going after most vulnerable yet again - November 18, 2014
- Twelve national medical associations join call for Conservative government to drop reckless appeal of refugee health ruling - October 21, 2014
- Climate damages litigation could cost Canadian oil & gas companies billions: study - October 13, 2014
- Making Sense of the CETA - September 28, 2014