Immigration and Refugee Board Adjucator David McBean Must Go
Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Conservative government has reappointed Immigration and Refugee Board adjudicator, David McBean, to another five-year term. He rejected all 169 cases he adjudicated since 2007.
McBean does not represent Canadian values of compassion, human right and respect for human dignity. His record automatically strikes terror in the heart of any would-be refugee. I’m speaking from personal experience.
I arrived in Canada as a political refugee from Zimbabwe in August, 2003. Although the IRB expedited my case, the weeks leading to my hearing were tortuous. I dreaded the possibility losing my meritorious case and returning to the waiting jaws of Robert Mugabe, the genocidal dictator of Zimbabwe. Within three months, the IRB had accepted my refugee application. Canada restored my stolen dignity and gave me a fresh start in life.
Read more about my life on these memoir writings on The Canadian Progressive blog.
McBean’s motives in rejecting 169 different personal stories of potential persecution and even death should even be subject of speculation. Surely, it’s a remarkable coincidence that all lacked credibility.
McBean is anti-immigrant. He is the very antithesis of Canada’s compassion-based refugee determinant system.Most importantly, his record shamed the principles of the 1951 Refugee Convention of the United Nations Commission for Refugees (UNHCR). The convention legally defines “who is a refugee, their rights and the legal obligations of states.”
McBean is the quintessential “ugly Canadian“.
The government should preserve the integrity of our incomparable refugee determinant system and revoke McBean’s reappointment.
Recommended for you:
- Conservative MP Tom Lukiwski called female candidate an “NDP whore” - November 20, 2015
- Trans-Pacific Partnership Leaders Statement - November 19, 2015
- Charlie Sheen reveals he’s HIV-positive: “I accept this condition” - November 17, 2015
- John Oliver Rants Against Paris Attackers: “Fuck These Assholes” - November 16, 2015
- 100 groups urge Trudeau to halt Canada’s “broken” tar sands pipeline approval process - November 14, 2015
- Federal Court judge said sex assault complainant “allowed the sex to happen” - November 10, 2015
- BREAKING: Barack Obama Rejects Keystone XL Pipeline - November 6, 2015